I’m currently trying to convince myself that buying another ukulele wouldn’t be a huge waste of money. There are far too many people in the world that can’t understand the need for one more ukulele. So here’s a list of reason you can trot out whenever you need to justify another uke purchase to yourself, your spouse, your parents or your debt counselor.
1. Size: Sopranino, Soprano, Concert, Super-Concert, Tenor, Super-Tenor, Baritone.
Tuning: C, D, Low-G, Low-A, Slack Key.
Construction: Mahogany, Koa, Banjolele, Resonator, Electric, Plastic, Sapele, Mango, Spruce, Cedar
Strings: 4, 6, 8.
That’s 1,050 combinations (koa concert ukulele etc). Bare minimum.
2. The value of the dollar is falling like a drunken gymnast. Buying a ukulele from Hawaii is basically currency arbitrage. Technically, I’d be making money (this one doesn’t work if you live in the US).
3. In the age of mass production and synthetic materials, it’s our duty to support skilled craftsman working with wood.
4. I have a tie that would go perfectly with that uke.
5. The strings on this uke need changing, and I really can’t be bothered.
6. A new ukulele will expand my sonic palette and inspire me to previously impossible artistic achievements. Buy a ukulele that isn’t at least twice as expensive as all my current ukes put together is a false economy.
7. I have a spare humidifier.
8. MGM is offering free international shipping on that one.
9. I need to buy one now to avoid getting caught in the Christmas rush.
10. The kids can go without school shoes. It’ll toughen them up.
We need all the help we can get. So add your reasons/excuses here.