Duelling Banjos (Tab)

Duelling Banjos (Tab)

I’ve had this one knocking around, half finished for years. The version I’ve ended up with diverges from the original quite significantly. As well as being shorter, the fast section is completely different in terms of notes.

The most important thing is to vary the tone between the guitar and the banjo – otherwise it’s not a duel you’ll just playing the same thing twice. There are a bunch of ways you can separate the two. For the city guitar I’ve played open strings wherever possible and picked and strummed mostly with my thumb around the start of the fretboard. For the rusty, backwoods banjo I’ve used more fretted notes and picked/strummed with my finger near the bridge.

1. john hubbard March 15th, 2012 6:25 pm

Im sorry if I have confused the issue. I certainly was not suggesting your tab was not accurate to the original recording. Instead I was suggesting that the tab missed out some of your version. I have every respect for what you have done. Please understand that. I certainly will never reach your standard. John

2. Woodshed March 15th, 2012 10:02 pm

John: I think it should all be in the tab.

3. Nick Knight March 30th, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi, I have been trying to play dueling banjos when I stumbled on your version – which is great – love it. Especially the the tricky bit in the middle.

I still am having difficulty playing it (another few late nights!) – but am looking for dual version – 2 players plus a bit longer – any tips? Also – what is that style of playing – and any intros on learning more about it?

Thanks

Nick

4. Kermit May 23rd, 2012 3:38 pm

One day… One day I’ll be able to play this. I look forward to that day.

5. kermit March 11th, 2013 4:55 pm

Finally! After many months practice I can finally play it. Still struggle a bit moving to and from the bridge and I’m not quite as fast as you, but a few more weeks should sort that out. Massive thanks for this tab and your book and site Al. Keep up the good work :)

6. Woodshed March 12th, 2013 6:50 am

kermit: Congratulations! And thanks!

7. Markstrings April 9th, 2013 1:04 pm

Well I have to say I was blown away by that video. If I get anyway near that standard, I’d be a happy man!!

8. Woodshed April 10th, 2013 12:42 pm

Markstrings: Thanks very much! Happy practicing!

9. Emily April 20th, 2013 3:36 pm

Amazing arrangement!
    I recently got a banjo uke, and me and a friend of mine are going to try to learn it as a banjo uke/uke duet (kind of like miniature guitar/banjo)
    Your video is brilliant too! not sure we’ll get it to that standard, even with two of us!

10. Woodshed April 21st, 2013 4:30 pm

Emily: Thanks very much! Good luck with the duet version.

11. Carl July 15th, 2013 7:37 pm

Measure 19 has been very difficult for me to play…I know it has been a while since this tab was posted, but is there any way a tutorial video could be uploaded for less experienced Uke players like myself? It would mean the world to me :D

12. Woodshed July 16th, 2013 9:36 am

Carl: Sorry, I don’t do video tutorials.

13. Carl July 17th, 2013 12:32 am

I understand, thank you for the amazing tab anyways! You have single handedly inspired me to play ukulele for the past few months, and I can’t thank you enough.

Cheers,
    -Carl

14. Karla April 7th, 2014 3:08 am

Hi Woodshed, been embarking upon this one for a while, gets quite tricky at 19.

Just wondering what the notes in brackets mean – couldn’t find a reference to that in your notes.

And also the slides? In 21, am i right in assuming that it is a slide? So how does one slide from a note to the same note again?

Thanks in advance. Would be interested to know how many of the previous commenters stuck with this one until the end!

15. Woodshed April 7th, 2014 7:24 am

Karla: The brackets are tied notes. So you keep holding that second fret before you pull off to the open string.

With the slides you’re sliding into the third fret from below. Ideally you start sliding very shortly before you pick the notes. So the slide doesn’t have a definite start point.

Good luck with it!