Tan Cheng Bock, Shortbread: Friday Links

Singapore’s ukulele-playing presidential candidate, Tan Cheng Bock, came within a whisker of winning the election. After a recount he lost by 0.34% of the vote. And he consoled himself and his supporters with a song.

Ukulele shortbread including recipe (via aloha joy!).

The Ukulele Helper is a new chord and scale website that looks very promising.

Jake lists five songs that should covered on the ukulele (via @n0s0ap). He should check here and here.

Charlie McDonnell explains the science of sound with a ukulele.

Bosko and Honey have a new album coming out which you can pre-order on their website and listen to on Soundcloud.

Pictures: Uke House, The 2011 Greater Holy Lashing Tongue Evangelical Church of the Righteous Redeemer Grand Slam Tennis and Ukulele Club.

1. Josh Gordon September 2nd, 2011 3:06 pm

The Ukulele Helper site is promising, but the creator of it doesn’t seem to know the difference between diminished 7th and “half-diminished”; he thinks they are the same.

2. Herman Vandecauter September 2nd, 2011 3:26 pm

Futur presidential candidates can order special workshops with me!
    By the way, ‘love the pictures! They are fantastic!

3. Howlin' Hobbit September 2nd, 2011 3:37 pm

the ukulele helper site doesn’t work at all in the chrome browser, which is my default nowadays. seems to do OK in firefox–I do like the scales feature–and I haven’t tried it in any other browsers.

4. Herman Vandecauter September 2nd, 2011 3:38 pm

I did watch it with Chrome, no probs!

5. Herman Vandecauter September 2nd, 2011 3:53 pm

An other problem with ukulele helper is that it gives wrong note names like for C minor it says C D# G instead of C Eb/Es G, of course a only theoretical but disturbing.

6. Howlin' Hobbit September 2nd, 2011 3:58 pm

@Herman — hmmm… maybe it’s just the Linux version of Chrome then. I have the latest iteration, but there’s always some differences between the Windoze/Mac/Linux versions, no matter what browser you use.

7. Herman Vandecauter September 2nd, 2011 4:01 pm

@Howlin’….. I am on Windows indeed!

8. Woodshed September 3rd, 2011 7:32 am

Josh and Herman: Yeah, there are definitely kinks to be worked out. But it is still in beta. I like the way they’re going with it.

Hobbit: Working fine here on Chrome on Mac.

9. Ukulele Helper September 3rd, 2011 8:03 am

Hi,

@woodshed
    Thanks again for talking about my site.

@Josh Gordon
    You’re right, there’s a bug for dim7 and m7b5 chords : I’ll correct it next week.

@Herman
    The #/b solfege problem is part of my TODO list. I’ve started with # only because it’s much more simple when coding. But I’ll work on it soon.

10. Phredd September 3rd, 2011 12:30 pm

Al,

Thanks. I loved today’s Friday Links, even though I didn’t get to enjoy it til Saturday. I think all winning and losing political candidates should share a song similar to Dr.Tan Cheng Bock’s. Just seeing that one video makes me think he would have made a wonderful leader. Humility, friendliness and kindness shared in a song are key traits for good leaders.

I also think the Ukulele Helper will be a great ukulele helper. It looks great and is easy to understand.

Lastly, I loved Charlie’s explanation of sound. Very informative and entertaining.

Thanks. I look forward to Friday links every Friday, or Saturday, or whichever day I eventually get to see it.

11. Woodshed September 4th, 2011 11:44 am

Phredd: Sunday Comments: I hesitate to support a politician based solely on the fact they play the ukulele, but Tan Cheng Bock does have me charmed.