This year’s Winter NAMM (the big music instrument trade show) had plenty of new ukuleles to gawp at:
– The uke that’s really lubed my wallet-slit this year is the 2016 Kanile’a Platinum. I’m guessing it’s going to be over $3,000 so I’m just going to let my dreams be dreams.
– Scooped cutaways seem to be the new hotness this year. As well as Kanile’a, aNueNue has the Super Lani, Kala has a new scalloped series and Rebel have the new Livingston tenor. (Also hot: comfort edges.)
– Blackbird have long been experimenting with materials used in their instruments. The latest is the most unusual yet: the Ekoa ukulele made from linen. You can find out more in this factory tour video.
– At the goofy end of the spectrum are Ayers’ Zodiac ukuleles.
– And this year’s wackiest idea goes to Bugsgear for this thing that has a speaker in the soundhole so you can play along with a backing track.