Ingrid Michaelson – You and I (Chords)

Ingrid Michaelson – You and I (Chords)

I’m slightly concerned this one is going to anger the Indie Gods. Particularly since she’s played it with Jason Mraz a few times. But I’ve had a bunch of requests for it and I took a lot less convincing than I did with the song that won’t be named (henceforth to be known as ‘the Scottish song’).

The chords are pretty simple and ideal for beginners. She does use the less common variations of F and Am (with the A string at the third fret). But if you find that tricky, use the ones you’re familiar with.

Suggested Strumming

Here’s the strumming pattern she uses:

d – d u – u d u

Play it twice for each chord in the verses and once for each chord in the chorus. An exception is in the, “You and I/You and I” where you do d – d u once each for the F and G chords.

1. Woodshed July 29th, 2011 7:40 am

Amy: Hahaha! Thanks.

2. Amy August 13th, 2011 8:00 am

This is played on a soprano ukulele. Could I still play it on a concert ukulele?

Cause I tried it on a concert ukulele and the pitch is lower.

3. Woodshed August 13th, 2011 8:50 am

Amy: I’m fair sure it’s played on a tenor. But, either way, it’ll be perfectly good on a concert.

4. Ellie August 21st, 2011 10:23 pm

I was just looking through some of the beginner songs, this title caught my eye (never heard the song though) and instantly fell in love with it! This is a perfect song with my voice and my ukulele skills. Thanks a ton! I love it!

5. Woodshed August 22nd, 2011 12:29 am

Ellie: Thanks. Very glad I could introduce you to it.

6. Christian Mann August 30th, 2011 10:11 pm

Well done! Usually I have to make drastic changes because the people who attempt to chord things are tone deaf…didn’t have to make a change!

7. Woodshed August 30th, 2011 11:21 pm

Christian: Thanks very much!

8. Ylah October 25th, 2011 12:32 pm

Thank you very much! I’m a big Ingrid M fan and just learning the ukulele. The songs you shared are awesome.

9. zoe December 6th, 2011 4:11 pm

what indie gods?? i need this song for a class at my school and im sooo confused:P

10. Woodshed December 6th, 2011 5:17 pm

zoe: Don’t worry about it. It’s just a running joke.

11. Lucas February 20th, 2012 6:25 am

Just wondering, on my uke, whenever I play a chord which has the E-string first fret, I always get fret buzz. This doesn’t happen on any other string or fret. Even when I press down hard it still happens. Is this just some problem with my uke?
    TY

BTW, love the site!! :)

12. Woodshed February 24th, 2012 4:13 pm

Lucas: It’s hard to say. Have you tried changing the strings. That sometimes helps.

13. Adriana July 7th, 2012 7:50 am

I don’t know if I missed the answer to this… but I have no idea what the C Csus4 C Csus4 C, means? is doing that with the strumming pattern very fast? that’s what sounds in the song after the chorus? one more total noob here :-) thanks :-)

14. Woodshed July 9th, 2012 10:37 pm

Adriana: Yeah, they’re just short.

15. Haley July 17th, 2012 7:21 am

I’m having a lot of trouble with the strum. Can you give any more tips?

16. Jo July 27th, 2012 4:02 pm

whats the tuning for this?

17. Danielle August 9th, 2012 2:55 pm

the chords for Am and F aren’t normal.. I mean, there’s an extra finger placement (4). Is that how it’s supposed to be for this particular song, or was there an error with editing the image? :D Thank you, btw, for posting this. Helped a lot!! :)

18. Woodshed August 12th, 2012 9:08 pm

Danielle: Yeah, they are a different inversion. It’s the same basic chord. So you can play it the usual way. I’ve written it up that way because that’s the version she uses.

19. holly December 27th, 2012 12:24 am

Hi.
    I got my ukulele 3 days ago and I understand all the chords in this song.
    I just don’t understand the strumming pattern and having to do it 2 times for each chord, I have tried but with the speed of the song have only managed to do it once for each chord. Will this affect the song?

20. Woodshed December 27th, 2012 9:25 pm

holly: If you like the sound of it, go for it. It should work.

21. Reamus January 29th, 2013 4:09 pm

If you’re trying to play it like her, the D7 chord is wrong. She actually plays an F#dim/C chord (2023 from G-A). She also gets rid of the C suspension on the first string in the chorus, and plays those chords as standards.

Great job though. I really enjoy your site overall.

22. Woodshed January 29th, 2013 9:29 pm

Reamus: Thanks. You might well be right. I’d still call that chord D7 though.

23. Kitty Santi August 18th, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey, I hope I don’t seem like a fool for asking a random question on here,if I do, it’s not the first time. I was wondering if anyone would take a look at Ingrid Michaelson’s song that I linked below, doesn’t have a name and I really want to learn it but no chords are out on it. :/ Thanks! Take care.

24. Claire-Louise August 1st, 2015 8:03 pm

Thank you so much! Only picked up the use a while ago a would have never been able to play if it wasn’t for you :) I did a cover of this song :) http://youtu.be/YS3jRTgLHAg

25. Woodshed August 1st, 2015 8:12 pm

Claire-Louise: Excellent cover! I’m very glad I could help!

26. Manny May 31st, 2016 1:45 am

The second line of the verse is a Csus4, not an F (on the “We might not have…”, for example). Also, there is a Gsus4 to G embellishment at the end of the line about sweaters in the chorus.