It’s Uke Hunt’s ninth birthday tomorrow. According to WebMD 9 year olds, “recognize basic social norms and appropriate behavior”. So this might be your last chance to read puerile, offensive posts like these (although I wouldn’t bet on it):
In tabs: If I Had You and David Beckingham’s takes on Leo Kottke and Bent Fabric.
In chords: Elliott Smith’s Waltz #2 (XO) and ukulele scremo phenomenon twenty one pilots’ We Don’t Believe What’s on TV.
In tabs: A whole bunch of theme tunes and I ventured into tabbing for multiple ukuleles with a UOGBesque version of Miserlou.
In chords: UOGB’s take on Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights and songs from Steven Universe.
– Happy Birthday to You finally got released from the fraudulent clutches of Warner/Chappell and I celebrated with chords and two tabs of the tune.
– I set up a new system for rating ukuleles in the ukulele review section which produced a list of the top 10 rated ukuleles. Kamaka and KoAloha have, not altogether surprisingly, been fighting it out at the top. At the time of writing Kamaka are ahead by 0.02 of a point of KoAloha and Mya-Moe in second place. If you want to have your say, find your uke in this list of ukulele makes and rate away.
– I started doing short video tabs on Instagram.
– The big ukulele chord quiz.
In tabs: An instrumental version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips and Gwent Flute Song from The Witcher 3.
In chords: I was surprised by how successful The Libertines’ reformation was and did Don’t Look Back into the Sun.
In tabs: After years of trying to get a version I liked, I finally finished an arrangement of Dave Brubeck’s Take Five. Plus a group arrangement of the Ghostbusters theme ,a medley of songs from the Back to the Future trilogy and Schubert’s Die Furelle.
In chords: Adele’s stunning comeback Hello and Hall & Oates’ Rich Girl.
In tabs: Penguin Cafe Orchestra’s ukulele-cuatro duet Paul’s Dance and the theme to 90s British sitcom Men Behaving Badly.
In chords: Eagles of Death Metal’s I Want You So Hard and The Smiths’ Unhappy Birthday.
– The second edition of my book Ukulele for Dummies was released with new chapters and digital downloads.
– Ukulele festivals 2016.
In tabs: Best Bowie intros. Jonathan Lewis shared a tab of Loftus Jones from his Irish Tunes for Campanella Ukulele ebook.
In chords: Bowie’s Life on Mars and Hoagy Carmichael’s I Get Along Without You Very Well.
In tabs: Damien Rice’s 9 Crimes, Sufjan Stevens’s Death with Dignity and Langtree’s Lament from Over the Garden Wall.
In chords: The Pogues’ If I Should Fall from Grace with God and Chris Stapleton’s Tennessee Whiskey.